Hello Jefferson families! The Green Team will be facilitating an Earth Day celebration on Friday, April 21st, with eco-friendly yard activities during morning and afternoon recesses (see below for more details). We are collecting USED CDs (old CDs that you no longer listen to, scratched/broken, or any kind of used CD that you no longer want) for a upcycled CD art project and are placing a collection box outside the school office. We are also seeking PARENT/GUARDIAN VOLUNTEERS to help out with the yard activities – please contact Lori Hess at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help out. We need parent/guardian help at two slots: Friday 4/21 9:25 to 10:20 and 11:25 to 12:40.
Here are some more details about Jefferson’s Earth Day celebration:
- Walk and Roll to school: Celebrate Earth Day and reduce pollution by Walking or Rolling to school on Friday 4/21! Leave your car at home, leave extra time to park a few blocks away, or carpool with friends. Parents, please stay for a few minutes to join us for coffee (bring your own mug to reduce waste!) and participate in creating an Earth Day mural.
- 4/21 Earth Day activities: Join the Green Team at morning and afternoon recess on Friday 4/21 for eco-friendly activities including recycle relay race, upcycled CD art, planting (if your succulent from last year’s earth day is outgrowing its cereal bowl planter and you would like to plant it at school, please bring it in), Kids4PlanetEarth letter-writing campaign and more! We are collecting old/used CDs (collection box outside school office) and seeking parent volunteers (shifts are 9:15 – 10:45 or 11:15 – 12:45) – please contact email@example.com if you are able to help out!
- Zero waste lunch: If you pack a lunch, make it zero waste for Earth Day! Pack food in reusable containers, use a cloth napkin and reusable utensils, and put it all in a reusable lunch bag/box. You will make the earth happy!
- Shoreline cleanup: Join other Jefferson families at the Shorebird Park Nature Center at the Berkeley Marina at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday 4/22 to learn about the impact plastic is having on our environment and help clean up our shoreline. For more info and to preregister, go to http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/shorelinecleanup/ or call 510-981-6720.
- Join us for the entertaining Waste Reduction Production assembly on Tuesday 5/2 at 8:45 a.m.!
The Green Team